Saturday, July 31, 2010

Chapter 1 - Vacation - As long as the kids have fun...

"I'm gonna blog the sh%# out of you when we get home!" These were the last words spoken to DH in the last moments of our Vacation...so he's been warned. Many who read this will laugh - most will acknowledge that "boys are dumb" and all will agree that I married a primate...but he's a cute primate and he's all mine! :) (that last part was only added on the off chance that monkey-man reads this post)

The plan...

Monday - Get the house cleaned (cuz no Mom likes to come home to a trashed house) and Pack - get to bed early.

Tuesday morning - bright and early - hop in the car with Thing 1 & Thing 2 and drive many hours. I can work on a couple of crochet projects that I need to finish while DH drives - yay!Check in time at the camp ground is approx' 3pm. (cuz I've done all the planning and checked the web site thoroughly) Set up and settle in...make dinner over an open fire - then squeeze in some sight seeing (maybe stroll around old quebec). Bed time kinda early cuz Wednesday is water park day!!!

Wednesday morning - hit the water park all day long - Head back to the camp ground after 7pm when it closes. (All of us happily exhausted) and have a quiet night of marshmellow roasting, story telling and fun family time.

Thursday morning - Hit the aquarium and spend the better half of a day...then off to check out Mount Morency Falls - ride the cable car - take a few pics...then head back to the camp ground. I'll do laundry and tidy/pack up a little while DH makes dinner and the kids play (cuz we'll have to leave in the morning) one last bonfire with mellows and family time - shower and bed.

Friday - sleep in a little, pack up and head home by 11:00...which brings us home by 7-8ish....Toss Thing 1 & Thing 2 in bed and relax from a fun filled and relaxing vacation.

Looks like a great plan huh?! Yeah well - this is the "boys are dumb part"...well - the 1st of many of those "boys are dumb" moments.

So - Monday is insane! I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off but I'm not freaked out yet. I've got my missions all planned out and know what order I have to do everything in. I'm working on packing the car - rounding up coolers and sleeping bags etc. The girls have packed their bags, I'm off to pick up groceries...we'll be off brigth and early - life is good. I get back from grocery shopping at around 5:30, and that's when DH dropped the bomb. HE slept all day, so HE has the brilliant idea that we should leave TO-FREAKIN-NIGHT!!!!! What in the name of hell makes sense about THAT idea??!!! HE figures that if we leave at midnight, we'll save an overnight at the camp ground and be able to get started sooner on the fun stuff!

***Let's pause for a moment so that I can address all my fellow Mom's who are reading this post*** You know those moments when you are faced with sur-real block-headedness...where the shere ridiculousness of the idea being proposed is only obvious to you as you mentally process the titanic sized crap-throw that you will face because of it...and because murder is illegal everywhere, and meteor's never fall from the sky with the precision that you would need in moments like that, you go along with it - knowing full well that it's all going to go badly??

This was one of those moments!***

Where was I?? Oh yeah - Monkey Man was reeling with glee over the awesomness of his spontoneity. He even dug out the memories of when a 26 year old me surprised him after work on a saturday by having the car packed to go to PEI for the weekend.

**pause again -

1st...I was 26
2nd...Thing1 was 3 and there was no Thing2
3rd...PEI is only 4 hours away!!!
4th...We needed Waaaay less stuff, didn't have a dog and everything was cheap!!!
5th - I WAS TWENTY-FREAKIN SIX AND WE ONLY HAD 1 KID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**deeep breath**

So - there I sat like the little guy in the crows nest of the Titanic...watching the ice burg getting closer and closer - knowing that no matter what I did...things were about to suck...alot...and I was the only one who could see it. I know that all other Moms who have read this far have already calculated that HE is the only one who slept all day and by the time we get there at the crack of sun-up - I will have been up for over 24hrs - HE will have been up for over 12...but Thing1 & Thing2 will have had just enough sleep to not be sleepy - but not enough to not be cranky...Just in time to start a full day of trying to stay awake on our first day of "fun" - AND I'm going to have to fast track the packing and have zero time to tidy up before we leave!! The only scenario worse then that is smelling dog poop but not being able to see it!! Both scenarios end with me holding a fist full of crap!!!

Oh - did I mention that the vet didnt' give Dayzee her kennel cough vaccine (that I specifially asked for when I took her in on Friday) so I couldn't take her to the kennel for the 3 days like we had planned...and I still wasn't able to confirm everything with Mary Puppins either so I was going to be stuck leaving Mom to look aver Crayzee for 3 days!! (**insert heart wrenching - gutt churning - this is all wrong feeling here!!*)

And so - I was off, like a flaming Michael Jackson - running all over the place trying to pack like a freak with my mind totally out of focus!!!

Ok - I'll pause there and continue later cuz we haven't even left the driveway and I'm already exhausted!!

2 comments:

Auntie Em said...

Hahahahahaha!!!! Why didn't you just say 'NO!'? He would have sulked a couple hours but he would have gotten over it...Hehehehe!!! Can't wait to hear the rest of this story. (It's probably the same reasons why we never traveled when the kids were young!) Thanks for sharing your story Hollee!!! Should be some good scrapping material there somewhere! :D

Unknown said...

Whew... even I'm exhausted now. But I can't wait to read round 2! LOL