Sunday, September 19, 2010

No Saint Bernards were harmed in the making of this cake...

It's always kinda freeky when I find stuff and can't recall where it came from. I found these cake "attachments" in my cake cupboard and have no idea where I got them. (???) Oh well - I used them this weekend for a Princess cake for the CUTEST 4 year old on the planet!! :) she wanted a princess cake with ALL the princess's on it so this was perfect! When I started to build the cake, I was washing the attachments, though, and I think I'm missing 2 of the turrets, cuz there are 4 round castle roof things...but only 2 of the plastic tower wrap arounds?? Oh well - none the less, I plunked the other 2 tops on the back and it all worked out just fine :) I also got to try my hand at basket weave frosting again. It originally was flat-frosted and that was sooooper boring, so I had to add some texture. Even with the all white basket weave, it was still missing something, so I added the vines and leaves and voila! All done! :)
There was really only 1 snag...
When Lucy was around, she knew to automatically leave the kitchen the second my mixer slid out. She'd sit patiently in the next room, waiting for the odd scrap of cake carvings or frosting blobs, and when I was all done and the cake was boxed safely...she'd get to come in a "clean my floors. :) Those days are gone...
Typically, when I have a cake to do, I mix up 1 giant batch of frosting, then draw from that to mix each color 1 at a time. As they're mixed, I lay them out on the counter - side by side - until they're all bagged, and tipped and ready to use. So - I filled a bag with white for the basket weave...I turned and mixed a batch of pink-ish for the trim...I turned and mixed a batch of green for the vines...or at least - I think I did??? I piped the white basket weave, then reached for the pink. I decided to do the vines first, so that I could overlap the pink trim and hide the start of each vine. I set the pink down and reached for the green...no green!! ??!! WTH? I was positive I had mixed green!!! Hadn't I?? I looked in the sink, and there was my green bowl, scraped clean from loading the icing bag. ??! I must have put it down somewhere - but where? I looked around the kitchen, dining room, bathroom (ewe - I would never take frosting there but checked just in case) and nothing! Oh well - I'll mix some more but pipe the pink stuff first. I reach for the pink and IT'S GONE!!!!! OK - WTH?! I look all around, look under the table...I stand there baffled for 2 seconds and then it hits me - OMG! DAISY!!!!!!! I race into the living room, and there she sat, politely licking the pink and green frosting as though she were trying to woo it into submission! AAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
I had made an enormous batch of frosting, as I had a couple other cakes to do this weekend and wanted to make it up ahead of time...thankfully, It left enough for me to re-mix the pink and green!!! Anyway - the cake got finised in any case and I'll have to make an extra batch of frosting...I Love my Daisy-May, but I really miss the days of being able to walk away from a cake on the counter and not have to inspect it for tongue marks when I get back. :(






No comments: