Saturday, January 12, 2013

4 cakes done!!!

I did it!!!  Don't ask me how, but I did...and here they are;

1st is the Plymouth voyager van cake.  I really wanted it to be more realistic than cartoonish - but...to slope the nose right, I'd lose a TON of cake and trust me when I say that the cake that's inside this van is tooo freakin delicious to spare!! :)  It's a triple fudge chunk cake which is crazy moist and dense and delicious!!!  In addition, the frosting that's glueing the thing together is out of this world!!!  I feel guilty for not giving them a side order of insulin with it cuz it's soooooo rich it's crazy!  The frosting recipe goes like this...

combine 1 cup of whipping cream, 1 1/4 c granulated sugar and 1/2 cup of cocoa...whisk it together and bring it to a low gentle boil for 1 minute. Remove it from the heat and...this is where things get crazy - you add 6...I'm sorry - did you say 6??  yes - SIX chocolate baking squares!!!!!  Stir it to melt it all together ( it gets super thick and you'll wanna grab a spoon - and if you do, you're just like me!! :) also - stir in 1tsp of vanilla and let this deliciousness cool till it's room temp.

Nex - whip a package of cream cheese and a cup of butter together until they're...well...whipped! :)  Then add the delicious cooled mixture and mix util it's...well...whipped!! :)  That's it - you'll wanna eat it with a spoon!!  (I did - shhhh!) 

Not only was this one super delicious with diabetes inducing frosting...I snuck some fresh raspberries in between the layers. :)  Yah-hum!!!  So here she is...the story line behind this one is that the birthday boy had a 1995 voyager until recently and it was his baby...but it's gone - moved on to greener pastures! :)  Hence the wings, the halo and the green grass (for greener pastures) :) 

Next are the 3 cakes for youngest kiddo's friend Luca.  She's having her party today with 20 of her friends - eek!!  (imagine 20 ten year olds inside of 1 home!!)  But - she wanted a horse head cake so that's what she got! :)  Her Grammie sent me the link of what she wanted, which was a beautiful grey horse by Gina cakes.  I did my best to come close, but I always struggle with black.  For whatever reason, my black coloring did not want to make black frosting or black fondant today so I had to settle for grey.  I used cocoa to color the bridle though.  I didn't want it all near-black cuz I felt it would need some more color than that. 

The other 2 were for her birthday dinner with Family tomorrow.  Luca is a triplet and has 2 brothers who needed their own cake for their big day! :)  I'm super excited about the skateboard cake!! :)  I think it turned out pretty cool! :) 


Being a girl, Luca wanted her own cake for her family birthday dinner and sent me a pic of the cutest little white horse cake by Kylie Lambert from Le Cupcake.  I'm happy with how it turned out. :) 

Overall, I think they were all a success.  As with every other cake, I learned so much with these 4!  (which is one of the things I love the most about making cakes! :)  Lessons include:

  • Not all icing sugar is created equal.
  • Black is a very hard color to make in frosting and fondant.
  • I'm getting better at smooth frosting.
  • If you spray fondant with water, then sprinkle white sugar all over it - it will stick and look super sparkley pretty! :)

So that's it for this post - my next cake on the list is a Montreal Canadiens cake for a co-worker. :)  I'm really looking forward to it cuz it's chocolate too!! :)

No comments: