Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Whopeeeee!

Yesterday I baked 3 dozen whoppie pies. It was a great recipe that I found in a cook book I bought about 15 years ago. It was one from an elementary school fund raiser. Anyway, I've never made them before and had an itch - bad! It's kinda funny, I think, that for as much as I LOVE to bake...I don't eat that much of it?? Anyhoo - They turned out GREAT!!!

And today...they are gone...yup! All 36 of them - gone like my waistline and sanity - never to bee seen or heard from again.

Here's the recipe in case you wanna givem a try :)

1/2 C - Shortening
1 C - Milk
2 egg yolks
6 tbsp cocoa mixed with 1 tbsp of melted butter.
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C - white sugar
1 tsp - soda

Mix it all up - beat the heck out of it and scoop even amounts onto a tin-foil covered cookie sheet. (I used my mini ice cream scoop to make sure they were all identical.)
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Cool - load with filling!! :)

Filling
1/2 C - Shortening
1/4 C - Butter
2 egg whites
vanilla
3 tbsp sugar
3 C - icing sugar

Whip the heck out of it and load it onto cooled cookies - smooshem together and eatem!!

OMG - on this same note...I just found this recipe at Martha's place!!! Guess what I'm baking tonight!!

2 comments:

The Original Princess said...

I've made that Martha recipe and they were delish!

Auntie Em said...

These were a big hit at our house from the MS site. DS gobbled them up!

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocolate-peanut-butter-surprise-cookies