Here it is...
I also took some inspiration from other cakes that I have done - flames from my hunger games cake, the studded collar for my skeleton smash cake and the bull dogs cake, and the number from the hockey cakes. Overall - I think it will come together nicely. The base is currently frosted and in the freezer setting up so that I can base coat it in blue and start to work on the flames. :)
Fast Forward and here is the finished product...I had originally wanted to do the yellow background of the flames in fondant...but my fondant wasn't cooperating (although it may have been a user problem he-he) so I opted for frosting instead.
Here's the top view of the cake. The 24 is sortof a creatie freehand. I started by drawing a square the same size as the flag. Inside that, I sketched out the outline of my 2 & 4 and cut them out. Then - I laid each of the numbers down on the flag and outlined it in black frosting. I carefully lifted the paper number off - cleaned up the outline where I needed to and piped in the yellow. Eezy Peezy!
I really like the black belt around the base, but it needed a little extra something. Wanna know how I made them look like little hub caps?? Ok - I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to hold it against. me. :) I started but cutting out little tiny circles with my smallest circle cutter. They were too blah - they needed soem detail so...I searched and dug through all of my drawers and finally found...a whiteboard marker!!! LOL True story! I cleaned off the top of the cap and voila! Instant hub cap! I pressed it into each circle, brushed on some shimmer dust and ther you have it - teeny tiny hub caps to jazz up the belt! :)
Overall - I think it turned out pretty much how I had planned and they were happy with the finished product, so - I'll chalk it up as another success. :) If you have a chance, check out my other cakes on my HolleeCakes Facebook page. :) Recentlly, I seem to be updating that with greater discipline that my blog. :S Sorry bout that.